How Breast Cancer? This is one of the biggest questions faced by women all over the world. However, no satisfactory answer can be found on the Internet to this question. Ii will help you in understanding detailed information about this disease, its symptoms, its major causes, treatments for this disease, precautions to be taken, and answers to other generic questions. Let us now understand some of the basic concepts associated with breast cancer that will make you aware of several scientific terms related to this disease.
What is Breast Cancer?
The answer to this question is as simple as that. Breast cancer is a disease associated with the women breasts. However, it is not just the women that are prone to this disease. This disease is also seen in men but to a smaller extent. The cancer of the breast usually originates from the breast tissue which is further divided into two types, the one which forms the inner lining of milk ducts (ductal carcinomas) and the other that forms in the lobules that supply the ducts with milk (lobular carcinomas). There are various treatments of breast cancer which are generally implemented according to the stage in which the cancer is.
Looking at the statistics for breast cancer, around 225,000 to 230,000 new cases of breast cancer are estimated to be registered this year in the United States alone. Also the estimate for death victims can be calculated up to 40,000 this year. Thus, understanding the severity of this disease, women must be aware of this disease, its causes, symptoms, treatments, and preventive measures.
Causes of Breast Cancer
One of the most common causes of breast cancer is having a close relative with this disease. The chance of breast cancer increases if your mother, sister, or even your daughter is infected with this disease. Thus, special precautions and preventive measures must be taken in such cases. Some of the other common causes of breast cancer are as follows.
- Increasing age is another major and common cause of breast cancer. According to several researches and statistics, around 35-40% of breast cancer patients are diagnosed in their old ages.
- The other common cause of breast cancer is getting diagnosed with breast cancer in one of the breasts. This increases the risk of breast cancer in the other breast or even added cancer in the same breast.
- Many a times the abnormal proliferation of breast cells also leads to the risk of breast cancer. Thus, women diagnosed with such abnormal breast conditions are prone to this deadly disease.
- Abnormal menstruation cycles can also cause breast cancer. Various researches have shown that women who started their menstrual cycles before the age of twelve and experienced menopause after the age of fifty-five are at a higher risk of breast cancer.
- Your ethnicity is another important cause of breast cancer. According various studies, white women have higher risk of developing breast cancer. However, tumors within Afro-American women are more aggressive.
The above mentioned are some of the major causes of breast cancer. However several other causes of breast cancer include, exposure to any chest radiations, birth of first child after age of thirty, obesity, excess intake of oral contraceptives, and excessive intake of alcohol.
Symptoms of Breast Cancer
Breast cancer gives rise to a formation of lump in your breast. However, not all lumps depict breast cancer. Particular discharge from the nipples, severe pain in breast and nipples, swelling of a certain part of breast are some of the common symptoms of breast cancer. The other symptoms of breast cancer include:
- Formation of lump under the arm that usually continues even after your menstrual cycle
- Swelling in armpit
- Tenderness and pain in breast
- Flattening or indentation of breast
- Nipple retraction
- Burning sensation, ulceration, itching, or dimpling sensation
The above mentioned are some of the common symptoms of breast cancer. Women are often suggested to take proper medical advice when they come across any of the above mentioned symptoms.
Diagnosis of Breast Cancer
The diagnosis of breast cancer is carried out using several tests. However, the primary examination of breast cancer diagnosis is carried out using basic hand test. The doctor will often examine your breasts for any abnormal changes, lumps, or other symptoms of breast cancer. If they find any of these symptoms, you would be suggested to carry out some of the below given diagnosis tests:
- Breast Ultra Sound Test
- Breast Biopsy
- Breast MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging Test)
- Sentinel Node Biopsy
- Invasive Breast Biopsy
- Ductal Lavage
The above mentioned tests help in the accurate diagnosis of breast cancer. Thus, the next time your doctor asks you to perform these test, you actually know what these tests are for.
Treatments for Breast Cancer
The treatments for breast cancer usually depend upon the stage at which the breast cancer is diagnosed and the percentage of its recovery. Below are some of the common treatments used for curing breast cancer.
- Targeted Therapy
- Hormonal Therapy
- Radiation Therapy
The breast cancer in its later stages is often treated by surgery where the cancerous tissues from the breast are removed.
Preventive Measures for Breast Cancer
Various events and programs are organized globally to spread awareness about this disease and control its spread. Some of the common preventive measures for avoiding or reducing the risk of breast cancer are as follows:
- Maintain healthy weight
- Avoid drinking excessive alcohol
- Remain physically active
- Give birth to first child before the age of thirty
- Breastfeed the children
- Undergo regular checkups
Breast cancer has seriously become a major issue in medical science. A huge number of women lose their lives every year due to this deadly disease. Thus, women themselves must take care of themselves and avoid getting infected from this disease. The lmgforhealth.org will keep you guided on information and preventive tips that will help you to remain healthy and overcome this disease.
- Breast Cancer Treatments
- Diagnosis of Breast Cancer
- What are the symptoms of breast cancer?
- Estrogen and Breast Cancer
- What is breast cancer?